Eco-friendly products are better for our environment. And eco-friendly products help us to be more conscious about how we live and what we do, which is why they are such an important part of the world today. But besides being good for the environment, why should you use eco-friendly products?
Eco-friendly products are better for the environment, and they also have many benefits to offer consumers. Not only do eco-friendly products eliminate waste and reduce the harm done to the environment, but these products will keep dangerous chemicals and toxic substances out of the home.
There are many eco-friendly options when it comes to food, clothing, and shopping online. In this blog post, we will discuss some of the reasons why eco-friendly products are so great! If you are looking for explanations as to why you should switch to eco-friendly products, read on!
Why Should You Use Eco-Friendly Products?
The eco-friendly products market has been growing at such a rapid rate that it is no surprise that people are now asking if eco-friendly products should be the main choice for consumers. And the reality is that you should choose eco-friendly products that fit your lifestyle because they are that good.
Eco-friendly products include all products that are good for the environment and do not harm your communities.
Eco-friendly products have many benefits, including:
- They are better for people – eco-friendly alternatives ensure that you do not put yourself, your family, or others at risk by using harmful chemicals and toxins in everyday items like cleaning products.
- They reduce waste – Biodegradable eco-friendly plastics are also becoming more common, allowing consumers to dispose of plastic bags responsibly without harming animals or our environment.
- They save money – Eco-friendly alternatives can last longer than their traditional counterparts, which means they will end up saving you money in the long run.
- They use renewable energy – Many eco-friendly options use recycled materials and renewable energy sources (such as solar power).
This helps reduce the environmental impact of products. Therefore, eco-friendly options should be a consumer’s first choice. They are not just good for the environment, but they offer so many other benefits too.
Why Are Eco-Friendly Products Better?
The eco-friendly products are better because they offer several benefits to both your health and safety. These products do not just impact the environment, but they also impact your overall health.
Sometimes there is the common misconception that eco-friendly products do not work as well as the cleaners that have been on shelves for decades. But it is simply not true! Eco-friendly products work just as well, if not better than the current chemical-filled products you use in your home.
Eco-friendly products are better because they lend to the following:
- Cleaner homes – Eco-friendly does not mean poor cleaning. It is the exact opposite. Eco-friendly cleaners do a great job at keeping your home clean without having to use too much elbow grease!
- Improved health – When you choose eco-friendly products, you are getting an alternative that is free of harmful toxins and potential carcinogens.
- Reduced environmental impact – The eco-friendly product movement has changed the game in terms of your environmental footprint and reducing the size of many corporate businesses’ environmental footprints.
- Less waste – These products are often crafted to not only be safe for use in your home but do not stick around in landfills for hundreds of years. Many of the eco-friendly products come in packages that can be recycled or composted. Additionally, eco-friendly products tend to last longer, so you produce less waste over the long term.
In many cases, eco-friendly products have restrictions that will limit the possibility of adverse health effects from using a certain product.
With eco-friendly products, you avoid all of the following:
- Endocrine disruptors
- Reproductive toxins
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs)
Eco-friendly products are better because some eco-cleaners:
- Contain no harmful ingredients like chlorine or ammonia
- Are easy to use, with many options being available in spray bottles for quick application on surfaces that need cleaning
Therefore, eco-friendly products should be chosen over non-eco-friendly ones all year round! Your family will not even notice a difference. Well, other than the lack of pungent ammonia or chlorine smell after cleaning is finished.
Common Examples of Eco-Friendly Products
Eco-friendly products have become popular on the market in the last few years. And so, you will find various options on the shelves at your local stores. There are tons of common eco-friendly products that you may have not even considered.
The eco-conscious consumer has been finding eco-friendly products more and more often, with some examples of common eco-friendly products being:
- Bathroom cleaners
- Cleaning sprays
- Clothing made from sustainable fabrics
- Compostable trash bags
- Energy-saving appliances
- Laundry detergents
- Metal straws
- Reusable shopping bags
- Reusable snack bags
These are some of our top choices for eco-friendly products you can use in your home today:
- Betterway Bamboo Toilet Paper 3 PLY
- Beyond Natural Dishwasher Tablets – Fragrance & Dye Free – ZERO PLASTIC WASTE
- Ethique Bindi Irwin Conditioner Bar for Normal Hair
- EWG Non-Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
- JAWS Glass Cleaner Bottle with 2 Refill Pods
- MOSOBAM 700 GSM Luxury Bamboo 8pc Large Oversized Bathroom Set
- USDA Certified Organic Probiotic All-Purpose Cleaning Concentrate
- WoodAble – Disposable Wooden Knives | Alternative to Plastic Cutlery
These brands all meet the Climate Pledge Friendly standard on Amazon. And this means that these products have one or more of the following certifications:
- Carbon Neutral by Carbon Trust
- Certified Animal Welfare approved
- Climate Neutral by ClimatePartner
- Compact by Design
- Fairtrade International
- Green Seal
- Made in Green by OEKO-TEX
- U.S. EPA Safer Choice
- And many more!
It can be overwhelming trying to choose a product that is safe and effective. And not all eco-friendly products are created equal. Make sure you are looking over the ingredient lists on the labels in addition to searching for the certifications mentioned above.
Always Do Your Research on Eco-Friendly Options
It is easy to see how eco-friendly products have become a staple part of green living today. You want to make sure that the products you use in your home are safe and truly eco-friendly.
The following is a list of chemicals and ingredients you want to avoid when buying new eco-friendly products:
- 1,4-Dioxane – Suspected carcinogen
- Chlorine bleach – Fumes can cause respiratory irritation
- Formaldehyde – A known carcinogen
- Ammonia – causes skin and respiratory irritation
These chemicals are known to be harmful but can still end up in your home if you are not careful. Always read the labels and do your research before you buy.
So next time you find yourself shopping for new household products, remember these helpful tips on choosing the right one for your home:
- Look at the packaging – You want the packaging of any eco-friendly products to be recyclable or compostable. This allows you to create less waste and reduce your overall environmental footprint.
- Look at where the product is made and manufactured – This might take some extra digging on your part to find this information. But the chances are a reputable eco-friendly company will want you to find and make sense of this information easily.
- Look for energy efficiency – Choose products and appliances that are energy efficient when investing in new items for your household. This reduces your electricity bill and is better for the environment in the long run.
The eco-friendly products available on the market today are perfect for the home and family. They are also a great choice if you want to reduce your carbon footprint on this planet. You can even opt for eco-friendly products that are recyclable, reusable, compostable, or biodegradable!
Some DIY Eco-Friendly Ideas
Maybe you want to test out your eco-friendly options in your home before you go out and buy from a big box store. If you need some eco-friendly products, you can make right in your own home with ingredients you probably have on hand right now. You are in luck. We have got a few different recipes and ideas for you to try before you go out and buy a specially designed eco-friendly product.
If you want to replace some of the current cleaning products in your home with some simple homemade versions, you can try the following:
- Baking soda
- Castile soap
- Hydrogen peroxide
- Rubbing alcohol
- White vinegar
By using these products instead of a non-eco-friendly option, you are not only saving money but keeping your family’s safety and health a top priority.
Make An All-Purpose Cleaner
If you want to make your eco-friendly cleaner with products you already have in your home, we have got the recipe for you!
Use the following steps to mix and make an all-purpose cleaner for use around the house:
- Combine ½ cup white vinegar and ¼ cup baking soda
- Add this mixture to half a gallon of water
- Mix vigorously and distribute into spray bottles or a storage container for later use.
This simple all-purpose cleaner works great at removing water stains on your bathroom and kitchen sink fixtures. You can also use this to wipe down your countertops, tables, and appliances.
Make Your Own Oven Cleaner
Does your oven have some baked-on gunk that you need to get rid of? Try making this homemade oven cleaner that is safe for you and your family and will not produce any harmful fumes when you turn on your oven next.
The following is step-by-step instructions for making oven cleaner at home:
- Start by creating a thick paste. Combine ¾ cup of baking soda, ¼ cup of salt, and ¼ cup of water
- Mix until the think paste forms.
- Wet the interior of the oven with a sponge and warm water
- Coat the oven’s interior with the paste and let sit overnight
- After the paste has dried overnight, scrape off with a spatula
- Use steel wool for any tough to remove food or stains. Gently scrub until the spot is clean.
- Remove any residue with a damp cloth or damp paper towel
This is a great way to clean all the junk off your oven walls and interior. And once you fire up the oven, you will not even notice a funky smell, like you would get from using a chemical-filled non-eco-friendly product.
Window Cleaner You Can Make at Home
One of the best parts about making your own cleaners is that you will use the same products again and again in different combinations to get your desired outcome. In this case, we will be using white vinegar again, but this time for your windows.
The following is a list of steps for making your window cleaner at home:
- Start by mixing two teaspoons of vinegar in one quart of warm water
- Use a cotton cloth or black and white newsprint as your towels
- Gently wash the windows with your vinegar solution
- Keep in mind to avoid window washing when the windows are exposed to direct sunlight. Warm windows will show streaks, and it will be difficult to avoid these if you try to clean while the sun is shining directly on your windows
This is a very simple window cleaner recipe; however, you must make sure you follow it precisely. Adding too much vinegar or not diluting the vinegar properly can damage the glass over time.
All of these recipes and more can be used to clean around your house if you are looking for a quick fix before investing in a name-brand eco-friendly option.
In Summary: Eco-Friendly Products Are Better for Your Health
Eco-friendly products are better for the environment and your health. As a result, eco-friendly products should be everywhere you look because they help save the planet and protect us all.
There is an abundance of eco-friendly options to choose from these days, so you do not have to settle for products that are not only poor for the environment, but for your, and your family’s, health as well. So, what are you waiting for? They help save the planet and protect us all!